- O’Neil Street closure to all traffic except local traffic will commence June 22
- Traffic will need to take the Covered Bridge Road detour to access downtown Clayton for 8 weeks (see map below)
- Construction on the $3.5 million greenway extension has begun
- A tunnel will be constructed under O’Neil Street to connect the Sam’s Branch Greenway to Legend Park.
- Ashcroft residents will be able to have access to your homes and utility providers (like trash pickup) will not be interrupted.
- The Sam’s Branch Greenway parking lot will be temporarily closed during the construction project.
- The additional 1.41 miles of greenway will give bikers/hikers access to downtown Clayton
O’Neil Street Detour Map
Just in case you haven’t heard, construction of a greenway tunnel at the trailhead at Sam’s Branch on the Neuse River Trail at O’Neil Street will require O’Neil Street to be closed for approximately eight weeks starting June 22nd.
If you are traveling from downtown Clayton north to Riverwood and points beyond you will need to take the City Road and Covered Bridge Road detour.
The town of Clayton acknowledges and regrets this will be a temporary inconvenience. On the bright side, this project was able to be scheduled while school is out of session.
Ashcroft Neighborhood Residents
Residents of the Ashcroft neighborhood will still be able to access their neighborhood entrance during the closure and garbage services will continue as normal.
Homeowners will not be able to turn left on O’Neil Street and travel south to downtown Clayton. All traffic will be detoured by taking a right turn out of the Ashcroft neighborhood and then turn left onto Covered Bridge Road to City Road. to Stallings Street and to Robertson to access Main Street or US Highway 70.
Sam’s Branch Greenway Trailhead Parking Lot to Close
Parking at the Sam’s Branch Greenway trailhead will not be allowed during the construction project. Bikers and hikers are encouraged to access the town’s trail system using the Clayton River Walk on the Neuse Greenway located at 2686 Covered Bridge Road.
Greenway Construction Project Details
Here are the construction project details:
- construction of 1.41 total miles of trail with 1.34 miles of it being a new 10-foot-wide greenway
- 270 feet of new 10-foot-wide wooden boardwalks
- 60 feet of new steel bridge construction
- a pedestrian tunnel under O’Neil Street
What We will Gain!
This trail extension of the Mountains to the Sea trail will give walkers, runners, and bicyclists a safe and scenic trail to and from downtown Clayton all the way to North Raleigh!
Ready to Love Life Along the Greenway?
If you love the active lifestyle you owe it to yourself to check out our beautiful new Ashcroft homes located along the Neuse River Greenway!
If you would like more information about our Ashcroft new homes, simply text, call (919) 813-0123, or leave a comment below!
P.S. Be sure to be on the lookout for the Hero Home #21 Key Presentation Ceremony to be held in Ashcroft on July 1st!